Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fresh Tooth Goes Frozen...Sort Of...

Now, if anyone is against eating a lot of pre-made, over-processed and tasteless frozen food, it's me. I'm a firm believer that what we put into our bodies should be as freshly plucked from the earth's soil, the trees' branches and the rural farms as possible. I mean, the fresh taste you get from a crisp salad made of tender baby spinach, crunchy Fuji apple slices, freshly grilled and juicy chicken breast, and tangy clusters of goat cheese - that scent sensation, that visual experience and that satisfying feeling of eating something wholesome and earthy cannot be replicated, especially not by a "meal" that comes wrapped in plastic, complete with microwave instructions.

Well...I was wrong...sort of. The other week, I was half-ashamedly scanning the frozen food section (gasp!) for quick, cheap and nutritious options for my lunch when I intern in West Hollywood a couple of days each week. In my defense, dining options in that part of town fall under two categories: cheap and dubiously nutritious; and expensive and delicious; thus, my dilemma. So, I search high and low in the natural foods section, crossing my fingers and muttering under my breath, "Yellow tag, yellow tag..." in hopes that I could find something inexpensive, tasty, and yes, FROZEN. I was about to give up hope, when I spotted a glorious, glowing beacon proclaiming "2 for $4" under a product I did not recognize, but would soon come to love. Meet Cedarlane Natural Foods' Burritos and Wraps. Ye, they are fatefully frozen, but wow, are they good! I've tried the Low-fat Couscous and Vegetables and the Veggie Pizza varieties, and both are surprisingly delectable! The Couscous Burrito is loaded with perfectly moist grains, wonderfully gooey mozzarella cheese and a proportional spattering of various vegetables, the Pizza Wrap tastes like a piece of thin crust, veggie-based pizza folded into a neat little package, and both crisp up wonderfully in the oven! Paired with a chicken breast or a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, these little bundles of beauty are truly one of the best choices for a cost-effective, taste-effective and happiness-inducing lunch break, no matter how stressful your job or how little your budget.

Cedarlane Natural Foods
Available at natural food stores and selected grocery stores throughout the U.S.
www.cedarlanefoods.com

No comments:

Post a Comment